Beer – the beautiful drink
So what are the unmissables in this year’s beer offering at Imbibe Live? Here’s our Top 10 tips:
1. Imbibe Live’s Wheat Beer Challenge – with the five finalists ranging from a 14-month newbie to two in their 30s, plus flavours ranging from zesty notes to eloquent herbal overtones, the stakes are even higher, with two tickets to visit Pilsner Urquell in the Czech Republic as well as a listing with M&B’s top pubs. And it’s all in the hands of the audience.
2. SIBA Superstars - Taste five of this year’s national SIBA award-winners in the small pack category, with Tim Hampson, chair of the British Guild of Beer Writers, as your host, and guest brewers, including Elgood’s, Sonnet 43 and Bespoke Brewery, putting in an appearance.
3. Peerless beer and food matching - with Warren Geraghty, executive chef and partner in the Galvin Hop group of pubs, and Imbibe regular, Andrea Bricarello, guiding you through perfect matches for dishes like Whipped Epoise Cheese with Walnuts & Crisp Chicken Skin, and Cured Ham with fresh peach & pine. Don’t expect them to play safe!
4. Fuller’s brewing maestro - John Keeling, explains what goes into crafting a beer with cellaring potential, while sharing a few of his favourites.
5. From Magic Rock to Elgood’s, Heather Sour Ales to Duchesse de Bourgogne - join in Jane Peyton’s Sour Power Masterclass.
6. Irish punk brewers, The White Hag - on the Hop & Apple Bar as part of first-timers to the show, Ireland Craft Beer.
7. Tiny Rebel Brewing Co - the brewers of Cwtch, Champion Beer of Britain 2015 and SIBA’s 2016 Brewery of the Year, are among the boutique producers to be found on the Hop & Apple Bar.
8. Jamie Hawksworth - Pivovar founder and creator of many a fine beer bar, Euston, Sheffield and York Tap, to name but three, will be presenting Pilsner and Beyond.
9. The Czech Beer Garden - makes a welcome return, as do Adnams, Meantime and Duvel, while Fuller’s, Heathwick, Instil and Crafted by Carlsberg are among those curating their collections, and Savour Beer, Long Arm and Bath Ales making their Imbibe Live debut.
10. The Thinking Drinkers - Fresh from prepping for this year’s Edinburgh Fringe, The Thinking Drinkers, Ben McFarland and Tom Sandham, go global this year with their look at beer trends.
Written by Susanna Forbes, from Drink Britain.